Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Gratitude is Healthy

 

I made a commitment a long time ago to take time to feel and express gratitude every day. I haven't been 100% successful, but it has been a really good choice with a profound impact on how I see my life and the world. Nurturing gratitude helps turn our perspective to the positive around us, rather than the negative. When the cup was already half full, suddenly it's more than half full, often it's brimming over. 

Expressing gratitude through the arts gives our creativity wings. The more we look to be grateful for, the more we see what is really wonderful around us, despite our daily challenges. Through our offerings of song, poetry and pictures we help others to see it, too.

Expressing gratitude to others improves and strengthens our relationships. Grateful people are happy people and fun to be around. When we are grateful and when we express our appreciation, it draws other people to us. 

Here is my 2020 Gratitude acrostic to share with you.

G - grandchildren in the garden, playing, picking produce and discovering the joys of harvest

R - responsibilities that keep me focused, learning and moving forward through retirement

A - animals in the yard and in the field bringing beauty and companionship in the great outdoors

T - time to work on the myriad of projects that were on my "someday" list

I - imagination that fuels the need to create something of beauty every day

T - technology, with all its complexity and frustrations, keeping us connected in challenging times

U- understanding from my husband, who patiently endures all my creative flights of fantasy

D- daughters and son-in-laws who are my pillars in times of trouble

E - education, provided through my parents' sacrifices, which has given me a much expanded vision of the world

What are you appreciating this Thanksgiving?


2 comments:

  1. I hope your commenting is working now! Great post, and I love your acrostic. Although I am unable to see grandchildren or any family at all in person, I still get to see some of them on zoom. We really are blessed with the technology to do so. I often think of pioneers who sometimes lost family members, never to see them again, because they met with an accident when away from home - freezing to death in a snow drift, falling into a well, and so on - with nobody around to help or go for help, and no cell phone to call 911. How hard it must have been to wonder what happened and perhaps discover the truth the next spring - or perhaps not at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii grandma its me carson your grandson

    ReplyDelete