Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Are you intrigued?


I am. Down in a crawl space, through a maze of spider webs and spiders, my eleven- year-old grandson found this old jar and pulled it out. We are doing some renovating at Windy Rafters and the crawl space is under the oldest existing building here, other than the barn. This jar hasn’t seen the light of day in decades. I bring it in the house and clean it up. That’s when I notice there is a date stamped on the bottom of it: 1930. My “spider” sense is tingling, no pun intended.

Right now, I am outlining Windy Rafters Roughnecks Book Three. It takes place at the end of the Great Depression and the beginning of WWII. Some of my grandchildren and I have been out walking around Windy Rafters, poking into all kinds of old things, and as we do, our imaginations have been running wild. We’ve been talking about the possibilities. What kinds of things could have happened here back in those years? Their ideas come fast and furious and I can hardly keep up at times.

One thing I know for sure. This jar is going to resurface in Book Three. When we found it, it was empty. But what if it hadn’t been? It could have been full of canned fruit, as you would expect, or it might have been used for another more mysterious purpose entirely. I’m not sure yet. Only time will tell!   


No comments:

Post a Comment