Wednesday, June 17, 2020

First Nations Content

Windy Rafters, like all southern Alberta, was once the home of the Blackfoot people. In Book One, as the Roughnecks travel back in time, their first adventure gives them a taste of life with the Blackfoot people, just prior to the signing of Treaty 7 at Blackfoot Crossing on September 22, 1877. 

In each book, we look in on the Ferris family and their community, as well as the Blackfoot people, at different points in history. What are the challenges? What are the differing perspectives? What are the dynamics between these groups of people? How does it inform our current circumstances?

This is a difficult aspect of the writing for me. As a non-native person writing about aboriginal people and issues, I am walking a careful path. I am not an expert and don’t claim to be. My research has led me from physical books, to online research, to conversations with Blackfoot colleagues and acquaintances.

After completing the manuscripts, I have had the writing vetted by First Nations community members and tried throughout the process to be respectful and aware. As I work, I just keep learning more and my understanding grows. I am so appreciative of the generosity of the Blackfoot people in helping me tell this story with authenticity.


No comments:

Post a Comment